If a creamy broccoli soup is what you're hungry for, here is a great vegan version. You can still have creamy flavor and texture without dairy!
4 Tablespoons Earth Balance
2 cups yellow onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup shallots, minced
3 cups vegetable broth plus more as needed
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
4 cups of broccoli, chopped stems and florets
1 cup of soy or coconut milk cream, SO DELICIOUS
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, melt the margarine over medium heat.
2. Add onions and shallots and cook until tender and translucent, about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Add 2 cups of vegetable broth and potatoes.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Add broccoli and continue to cook for additional 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and pour soup through a strainer, reserving liquid.
7. In a blender or food processor, puree solid mixture, adding liquid a little at a time to reach your desired consistency.
8. Put puree back in pot and return to stove, on very low heat.
9. Add cream and more broth for smooth texture. Season with salt and pepper.
*You can add less cream and more broth if you prefer a lighter consistency.