This powerful Thyroid-enhancing soup not only provides essential Iodine from Kelp sea vegetables to nourish the entire thyroid "factory", but it is also high in amino acids and antioxidants and is practically a total meal in itself.
This and other miso soups, when properly prepared, can have an extraordinary effect on one's energy, leaving one calm yet alert.
1 piece of approx. 4" x 4" kelp dry sea vegetable from health food store
3 oz. Soba noodles (Or you can use Udon or Ramen or your favorite!)
6 cups pure, filtered water
½ cup julienned carrot strips, 2" to 3"
¼ lb. tofu, firm or extra firm, diced
¼ cup red pepper strips
3 Tbsp. light miso (barley)
1-2 tsp. grated ginger
Few drops of toasted sesame oil
Sliced scallions for garnish
- Check the kelp for small shells, then simmer in the water about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the kelp and reserve the broth. Slice into noodle-like strips (from 1/4" to 2" wide, your preference) and return the kelp strips to the pot.
- Add the carrots and noodles, and simmer on low heat for a few more minutes, until the noodles are slightly underdone.
- Purée the miso in a cup with some broth.
- Add the tofu, red pepper strips, optional ginger and miso to the pot and stir. Let simmer for a few more minutes.
- Garnish individual servings with scallions, stir, as the kelp likes to sink to the bottom, and serve.
Add a few drops of toasted sesame oil when adding the tofu and other ingredients.
The kelp provides enough mineral salts so that added salt is not needed. Season with tamari for more "salty" flavor.