Preheat oven to 450F.
1 lb. button mushrooms
3 oz. shallots
4 cloves garlic
Juice of lemon (about 1 Tbsp.)
2 oz. black trumpet mushrooms, coarsely chopped
4 large egg whites or eggbeaters
1/2 cup soy, almond, rice or hemp milk
Freshly ground white pepper to taste
1. Grind the button mushrooms, shallots and garlic in a food processor or chopper.
2. Place into a heavy saucepan with the lemon juice and cook over medium heat until all the mushroom liquid has evaporated, about 6-8 minutes.
3. Transfer to a bowl, cover with a cloth and let cool.
4. Saute the trumpet mushrooms in a nonstick pan for 3-4 minutes. Stir into the ground mixture.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and soy milk, add to the mushroom mixture and combine thoroughly.
6. Season with the white pepper to your taste.
7. Lightly spray a casserole or shallow dish and add the mixture.
8. Place in a 450 degree oven, and cook until no longer wet (no more than 20 minutes)
Serve with a mixed greens salad drizzled with 3-Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar.